Certification is a hot topic for project management professionals. Is certification necessary to successfully manage a complex project?
The answer depends on who you ask. Certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) is widely recognized and carries a blend of requirements including:
- High school, associates or bachelors degree
- Between 4500 and 7500 work hours managing projects, depending on education
- Project management education and successful completion of certification exam
While PMP certification is an industry standard for some, there are certification programs offered by other organizations. Among those are the following:
- Master Project Manager (MPM): Offered by the American Academy of Project Management (AAPM), MPM certification requires experience, specialized education and successful completion of a certification exam.
- CompTIA Project+: Organized to provide training standards for the information technology (IT) industry, CompTIA offers Project+, a project management certificate that requires less experience and specialized education than the MPM or PMP.
- Certified Project Manager (CPM): With a focus on international and Pacific Rim concerns, the CPM requires a combination of experience, specialized education, and successful completion of a certification exam.
These are only three of the many certification programs available for candidates interested in project management credentials. In an economy increasingly project- and partner- driven, project management is a popular career choice. But the question still remains—is certification necessary?
As in all specialties, knowledge of standards and accepted practices is an important, some would say, essential, aspect of the skill set of a project manager. Beyond that, certification does not guarantee excellence. Relevant experience plus natural aptitude for project management is a potent combination for achievement.
Best practices for selecting the right project manager include checking for successful experience with similarly scoped projects, good references, education, training and a good fit with your management and work team.
Each manager at Project Management Consultants International (PMCI) possesses the experience, education and qualifications to manage your project successfully. When you need the right project manager, talk to PMCI.